Saturday, February 19, 2011

Social Media



Diigo Group I Joined
     As soon as Dr. Lambert introduced us to Diigo, I also signed up for Group Diigo for Educators. I joined this group because it will be very beneficial for me as an educator to keep up with the latest trends and also connect with individuals who share the same interests in my chosen educational field.
Appeal of Online Networks
     Somehow, I believe that there is a very fine line between the appeal of online networks for the young and the old. I think the bottom line for both is that it allows for people to connect with others who hold similar values, interests, goals, hobbies and so on. Online networks are marvelous tools for people who would otherwise have no connection to exchange information with people locally, nationally, and even globally!
Positive and Negative Affects of Online Networks in Classrooms
     There are many plusses that online networks produce in classrooms. First, online networks break up the monotony of using papers, pencils, and books all day. Using technology in the classroom allows teachers to bring the lessons to life and add meaning to the curriculum! It also gives teachers the opportunity to exchange ideas with other teachers and pick up ideas about what works and doesn't work in the classroom. The beauty of it is that ideas can be exchanged locally, nationally, and globally without ever leaving the classroom. This is true for teachers and students.
     The negative side is that using the social media may at times be too tempting for some students as they may want to "play" more than learn. Now don't get me wrong! I believe that much learning can and does take place through play. But when students would rather be on facebook than complete online assignments well then it becomes a problem!
Networking Sites
     I truly enjoy the educational networking sites because it allows me to exchange information with other educators. It is reciprocal where I am able to share ideas and also others share ideas with me! The main benefit is that I will be kept current on what others in my field are doing and gaining possible insight on how to improve my own teaching! Because I am so fascinated with this entire concept, I cannot really think of any drawbacks!


2 comments:

  1. Hello Darla. I completely agree about young and old finding the appeal of networking online. I have aunts on there and my younger cousins on there and I think it’s great. It’s so nice to be able to communicate with them anytime. I love when my students get to use the internet and they love typing an assignment instead of writing it out. They love the change up of getting out of writing it with paper and pencil. Lol after reading your blog it’s so similar to mine. I exchange information all the time online with teachers that I’ve worked with and get a lot of creative ideas. I also love sharing my ideas with other teachers as well. With some students you have to be more cautious than others because they will try to take advantage of what they are allowed and not allowed to do. Surprisingly I haven’t had many, if any problems with students playing on the internet. I give them free time to use the internet on approved school sites and I think this allows them to get that out of their system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darla, great job on your post. I think it is great for educators to have a place to network. Also, it seems likea great place to spread, learn, and utilize best practices in the classroom setting. I think you've found a great group that will provide you some great information.

    ReplyDelete